Sunday, October 24, 2010

Kielbasa & Rice Cereal

If any of you know my dad, you know his family comes from Slovenia. He has very strong ties to the 'motherland' and is very proud to be Slovenian. He calls all of us bohunk babies, which is technically a Slovenian swear word, as a term of endearment. Well now there is a new generation of bohunk babies. So imagine my surprise when I started talking about feeding Sawyer his first rice cereal and my dad chimes in with: "He has to have Kielbasa (a Slovenian sausage) for his first solid food." What?!? I asked him. Well, apparently this is something all four of us siblings had to eat for our first solid food. So what is the next natural course of action, to make the grandkids do it too, of course! Now at first I was a little hesitant, but after about a month of thinking about it, I thought, what the heck, if I survived it I'm sure Sawyer will too, and we may as well humor Poppa. Nice of me, I know!!! So here is Sawyer getting his first bite of Kielbasa. Poppa insisted on before and after pictures, because "You will definitely be able to tell a difference," says Poppa. So for your enjoyment and my family's too, here you go.





 The bite is in his mouth, but he doesn't know what to do.


Do you see the streaming tears??




So after that torture, we decided to try out rice cereal. A much more common first food! We started with the strip down in the bumbo. After mixing and making sure it was just the right consistency, we were ready to go. In goes the first bite and out comes the horrible face! We give it another try and then we get some gagging. I think our baby is going to be a picky eater, just like daddy. Hopefully he will begin to like solid food eventually!!




How stinking cute is that little face??



First bite; quite unsure!


CLASSIC!








2 comments:

Unknown said...

That really cracks me up. Want to know a secret? I really do not like Keilbasa. I know. I am a shame to the family. Don't worry about him not liking the rice. It seems like it took my kids a few times to really decide they like it. Owen choked and gagged the entire time we gave him his first rice but took to it eventually. I can't believe how big he's getting!

Ashley said...

What a great story!! I love it and I love the pics. I had no idea about the bohunk meaning. so so funny.